- homemade double pie crust (click here for my recipe)
- 5 cups fresh cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Prepare pie crust and line pie pan with half of dough.
- Remove cherry stems and pits.
- In a medium saucepan cook cherries over medium heat, until they produce juice.
- Mix in sugar, flour, cinnamon, and almond extract.
- Pour mixture into prepared pie pan. Dot with butter.
- Bake pie for 35-40 minutes.
- Roll out the remaining dough and cut "heart" shaped cutouts. Place heart cutouts onto a cookie sheet. Slightly wet cutouts with water and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
- After pie and cutout hearts are done arrange hearts on pie and let cool.